Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dennis ScottDennis Scott shared a merged idea: Allow us to overwrite existing contacts  ·   · 
    CasperCasper shared a merged idea: Merge imported contacts with existing contacts  ·   · 
    Antony HumphreysAntony Humphreys shared a merged idea: Allow users to Import updated CSV that updates existing records and adds new  ·   · 
    GregGreg shared a merged idea: Use Export/Import to update or revise database (overwrite existing info with new info)  ·   · 
    GlennGlenn shared a merged idea: When I import a contact and it matches an existing contact, it should merge the two.  ·   · 
    JennyJenny shared a merged idea: I would like to have the ability to update existing contacts when I import.  ·   · 
    Joshua WaldmanJoshua Waldman shared a merged idea: include a merge feature for contact imports  ·   · 
    Mark McCurryMark McCurry shared a merged idea: Update Contacts  ·   · 
    KimKim shared a merged idea: Import new items to existing contacts  ·   · 

You can now update contacts using a csv import. There are options to either only add new details or you can choose an additional option to overwrite certain details such as name, organisation, job title and custom fields.

You can read more about this in the announcement on our blog: https://capsulecrm.com/blog/comments/better-duplicate-checking-and-merging-on-import/

We also have a support article around this if you need more help: https://capsulecrm.com/support/import/#updating-contacts-on-import

Any questions on this just send us an email to support@capsulecrm.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Enjoy the new feature!

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add the option merge when importing, the way it highlights the clash now suggests that by ignoring the issue you will still import the contact. If there was the option to merge all duplicates found that would be a big time saver for me.

• Mike SchinkelMike Schinkel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it really not possible to merge duplicates in Capsule CRM? And this topic has been active for 2 years? Srlsy?

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my +1 here in hopes of being contacted when this is available. Until then, it's not worth it to me to migrate

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My database information on contacts constantly changes. I need an option to "merge" updated info for current contacts in capsule when importing.

• Reuben CummingsReuben Cummings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have. Having to enter in the updated information by hand is a *huge* time sink and should be automated ASAP.

• Sebastian HilgerSebastian Hilger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am importing my first batch right now, and stumbled upon exactly this problem. I would like to stay with capsule, but only if this is resolved.

• Tania HoustonTania Houston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No matter how well prepared you are before the first import, it is likely that you business requirements will change. Adding a piece of data or removing a tag to hundreds of individual records just isn't practical when the facility to import could resolve this. Would love to see this small but so useful improvement.

• meme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ideally this would be:

list of potential duplicates shown
        select either update, create new
        Report on any fields where update will necessitate overwrite of existing data
        along with checkboxes ie overwrite/ignore/ append... or whatever - as long as the user can see exactly whats going to happen to the record. Anyone importing customer data on a regular basis must end up having to merge all the time afterward for all customers who they deal with more than once...?

• Jean PoitrasJean Poitras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Capsule is great, except for merging data. The programmer should look at Batchbook which makes merging contact information really simple.

• Sophie MercierSophie Mercier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Capsule is great, except for merging. Lot of work, lot of possibilities for manual mistake. A deal breaker when you compare with other CRM such as Batchbook.

• Stuart MaxwellStuart Maxwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just ran into this issue too. Just give me a warning that there is a duplicate, and then let me overwrite existing data with the data in the CSV file.

• Helen StothardHelen Stothard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also like to be able to run report showing duplicates as we go along. When importing would lilke option to view existing record and merge accordingly.

• Alan HartAlan Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a duplicate entry is found on import, allow users to specify that new fields should be added automatically to the old record if those fields are not already present. Most importantly, a sparse new record should never overwrite a more complete one.

• Ron OrmeRon Orme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This limitation really restricts the usefulness of Capsule for all but the simplest of CRM's. It's a MUST HAVE.

• Ron OrmeRon Orme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This limitation really restricts the usefulness of Capsule for all but the simplest of CRM's. It's a MUST HAVE.

• punipuni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this has become critical with all the different social media platforms... getting a broader perspective on contacts from various sources etc. we need effective merge at import, pls

• mauro.avellomauro.avello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also use a tick mark instead of a dropbox as a way of choosing one or the other. This way you could have a column header to select all or select none. Easier than having to get into each field if you want to override the selection.

• Mathieu Le BretonMathieu Le Breton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some features would be very useful if they existed, they're nice.
        And some happen to be a great pain when they're not.

After importing Capsule (and spending, hum... on week on contact merging from Salesforce&Mailchimp) and using it for a month, I see some data was not imported. That's a mistake from me. But how to do now ?
        How can I do to add this data back ?
        On Mailchimp or salesforce, I would have re-imported contacts with the new data added. But there... I don't want to supress and re-import not to loose data added on Capsule. Or, well, reimport as duplicates, and merge them one by one in Capsule... That's possible, just taking a lot of time. So now, I'm waiting with a 90%-complete database, hoping this feature will come one day, and keep a salesforce backup meanwhile.

• BernieJMitchellBernieJMitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Auto merge would save YEARS! Card Scan does it very well, even though it is a bit of an old style piece of software.

Feedback and Knowledge Base