I suggest you ...

Add boolean AND / OR operators to the List function

Currently the List function for Organizations and Contacts allows filtering via a variety of data points. It even allows the addition of multiple filters to further narrow down the list.

However, what it is missing is a boolean operator between those multiple filters; it is currently set to "AND"

For example, I can create a filter
X is A
Y is B
which will return values where (X = A) AND (Y = B).

However, I would love a function that would allow us to search (X = A) OR (Y = B), or if possible, more boolean functions such as NOT or complicated nested filters.

208 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JeffatWangLiJeffatWangLi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Marc LogemannMarc Logemann shared a merged idea: OR filtering in List View (ZIP Code ranges)  ·   · 
    Matt KensleaMatt Kenslea shared a merged idea: Permit an 'Or' operator when building lists to enable searching by multiple tags or fields.  ·   · 
    Melanie TinsonMelanie Tinson shared a merged idea: List conditions  ·   · 
    Martin PlappertMartin Plappert shared a merged idea: When creating a new list, allow for 'or' statements as well as the 'and'.  ·   · 

We’ve released a new filter for the People & Organisations list to support filtering by multiple tags which is one of the most common reasons our users request the ability to use an ‘OR’ option in Capsule lists.

The new filter takes the form of:
    [Tagged with] [is any of] [a list of tags]

We want to keep the list filter function intuitive in keeping with our design principles for Capsule. Asking users to choose between AND’s and OR’s as they build up their filter, or asking them to nest queries with brackets isn’t consistent with this approach. We think a more intuitive approach is to use the style given for the tag example above. We intend to extend this to other fields. Here’s an example of where we are heading:

- Tagged with is any of (Customer, Lead)
    - State is any of (California, Nevada)

For the technically inclined, this means that the AND’s operate across the lines and the OR’s operate within the line. So representing the above in boolean logic it would be (Tagged with is Customer OR Tagged with is Lead) AND (State is California OR State is Nevada)

Feedback appreciated.In particular I’d like to understand which fields need the “is any of” support first so that we can get these rolled out.

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kees MeershoekKees Meershoek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Josef Szotten,

In a response to your question "Which field need the 'is any of' support first?" I desperately need the custom fields. Our organization now records additional data in order to make the required lists. This is not necessary if the 'is any of' function comes available for the custom fields (bolean).

Thank you in advance.

• GayaGaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand the 'is any of' principle, but I can't see how you can use it with datatags and custom fields...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have difficulty to understand how the use of two operators (AND, OR) can be complicated? There are intelligent and intuitive ways to do this using collours or icons. Though I like your software, this rigid and one dimension (only AND)approach can at a certain point become reason to go shop somewhere else.

• JonathanJonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the AND/OR function is just us users expecting it to be a certain way, like old school programs Sage ACT! - wow that's bad but the filtering systems and grouping works well.

I can see the changes made so that the user can select:

"criteria" - "is any of" - "data"

but this is only available in the people & organisation area of the CRM and not the sales pipeline side - which is ultimately more important as that's what effectively will keep us paying Capsule and not 'managing our contacts'... if one area is updated, the other should be also to keep it consistent

• Mark E FellingMark E Felling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is under review since May of 2012? I think your idea for implementation to handle or within the line and And across multiple lines is good ...at least get that done! Currently cannot filter data!

• Vijay AyyappanVijay Ayyappan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Data analysis is critical when we pool in all sorts of data into a system like CapsuleCRM. This is a great application and would like to see "and / or" features.

Our scenario is like this:

We have Tags: Pilot 1, Pilot 2 and Pilot 3. If we need to see list of all clients with whom we have done Pilot 1 & 2 then this "and" feature is a must.

Is there any other way to get more data like this ? The current system is more focused on multiple filtration as opposed to addition..

• Ghislain RuggeroGhislain Ruggero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would say that the "is any of" option is vital for these categories:

-Custom fields and data-tags (at least for the lists)
        -State/ Province and city (countries for multinational companies)
        -Organisation name
        -Job title

However, I think that the "is any of" cannot totally replace an AND/OR solution.
        For example: suppose I want to shoot an email for an event that will take place in L.A. and I want the Californian customers as well as the customers who participated to our previous event to know about it. It would be impossible (or inconvenient) to make a list including different options with a spatial field like "State is "California"" OR a Tag/Custom field such as "Tag is "Came to X fair/trade show"".

Of course, the solution would be to create a tag called "California". But I noticed that although tags are great tools, it tends to be a little bit messy if they are too numerous.

• Troy HarrisTroy Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding the statement "Asking users to choose between AND’s and OR’s as they build up their filter, or asking them to nest queries with brackets isn’t consistent with this approach." May I respectfully suggest you take a look at how ToodleDo has done this. A very clever, attractive and ultra easy way for novices (with just the slightest guidance) to build searches using booleans.

• ToddTodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom Fields
        Custom Datatags

Did I mention Datatags? Customer.Widget, Lead.Widget, Customer.Wadget, Lead.Wadget, Customer.Woot, Lead.Woot

Search: Customer.Widget OR Lead.Widget
        Search: Customer.Widget OR Customer.Woot
        etc.

• Kees MeershoekKees Meershoek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's now possible to work with the 'is any of' field. Nice, but only available for tags.

It would be very valuable to us when the OR function becomes available for the bolean custom fields. This would allow us to combine segments based on these custom properties.

"Show all organizations with CustomPropA = yes OR CustomPropB = yes"

• Nick RoditesNick Rodites commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the need for an advanced filter, or add "is any of" as an option to all native and custom fields. It's difficult to maintain a policy on Tags and we have painstakingly tried to limit their use. We prefer custom fields with drop downs to enforce keeping the db "clean." We have 5 fields (Client Types, Contact Types, Industry, Referral Sources, Lead Type) with multiple categories in each and every contact could populate 2 or more fields. Tags would be out of control. We need the ability to filter a combination of these fields using "is any of" (And/Or), please.

• AndreasAndreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For us this is a very important feature. We sell all over Europe and US. We need to be able to run reports for all german or english speaking countries. It has a high priority for us

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "is any of" connector is also compelling for our business. We e.g. would need this for the Field Country to filter people in a particular region. We cannot predefine these regions, neither can we add countries as tags (where the "is any of" is possible) since it would overload the tag section. "Is any of" is a must for us to operate the system with the functionalities we need.

• IanIan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implementing an "Any of" would be great for the tags field. Personally, I really need a "Any of" for states. I send out emails, faxes or mailings to different regions of the country. I want a list, for example, with any of the following states: California, Nevada, Arizona.

This is one of those deal-breaker issues for us in our decision to move to Capsule.

• Torben RasmussenTorben Rasmussen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another really helpfull feature would be to use 'filters on filters' - this is especially helpfull if it is not possible to make nested filters, or if there are other limitations to the filters. When using this it is important to be able to choose 'Is not included in filter x' or 'is included in filter x'.

• Torben RasmussenTorben Rasmussen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any improvement on this point is a help, and I understand the need for keeping simplicity - however if you could make an 'advanced filter' button, where it would be possible to filter across all fields and make nested filters as much as you like, then it would really be an improvement. You can see a nice visual interface I am using for this in another system here: http://juhlsen.com/media/16683/filter-profiles.gif

• Stacey MillsStacey Mills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An and/or option when creating a list is essential. I definitely think changing the list function would improve the system immensely. When do you think this change will be implemented given the level of popular support?

Stacey

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base