I suggest you ...

2-way synchronisation with Google Contacts

Currently the Capsule integration with Google Contacts is one-way. Capsule is the master and any changes in Capsule are pushed down to your Google Contacts.

2-way synchronisation would allow changes inside Google Contacts to be synced back to Capsule.

530 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Duncan StockdillAdminDuncan Stockdill (Admin, Capsule) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Duncan StockdillAdminDuncan Stockdill (Admin, Capsule) responded  · 

May 2011

We don’t have any plans to implement 2-way synchronization of Google Contacts at this stage.

The current 1-way from Capsule to Google works well for keeping your contacts and email addresses up-to-date inside Google Apps.

I understand some users have requested the 2-way sync so they can tie in with Google’s mobile sync allowing them to update contact details on their phone and have those changes sync’d back to Capsule via Google contacts. However this creates a complex and potentially unreliable chain. We have since released a mobile phone app which provides a better solution for accessing and updating contacts while on the move.

We’ve also recently released a gmail gadget that makes it easy to see details about your contacts right inside Gmail.

If you are voting this up, please let us know more about why 2-way synchronisation is important to you and how you would use it.

Thanks.

73 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HenryHenry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest problem is that when I import business cards, I use an app (Camcard) that sychronizes with google contacts. If Capsule had two way sychronization with various android or other apps, it would be fine, but most apps have not standardized with google. This means I need to enter in all my info twice.

• SAMUEL SOLOMONSAMUEL SOLOMON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have been using capsule for 2 years and i am moving off the platform as i write this. among the arrogant and unresponsive issues was the 2 way contact sync. capsule has completely messed up google calendar and these guys do not realize that we have many contacts with people where they live both in crm and outside crm - and capsule makes consistent capturing of information impossible.

the other big issue was the absolute poor search system. it amazes me that in 2014 this system still does not do global search.

i had many other smaller issues, but these two are deal breakers.

• RowlyRowly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal breaker. With 4000 contacts in Google, and currently evaluating a CRM, it seems pointless to use Capsule if it is a one way sync. Why make Capsule the point of truth when I already have Google syncing my contacts across my phone, my mac, my PC and iPad? Google Apps is my point of truth and that needs to drive the sync with Capsule and ultimately Xero.

Instead I'm looking at Solve360 as this meets my requirements.

• Miguel LesyMiguel Lesy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For anyone following this thread: two-way sync is important to us as well. We launched a nifty tool to help you achieve two-way sync between Google Apps (contacts, mails, tasks, ...) and Capsule CRM.

Would love your feedback :-)

www.piesync.com

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any movement on this yet? Quite a high requirement and is a deal breaker still for me,

I would definitely sign up if there was a 2-way sync as it will assist other staff members to update the contacts and share with others easily, this is the one main reason which is stopping me from signing up.

• Allen KnightAllen Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have trialed your software and like it but the lack of a two way sync is stopping our organisation from signing up for the same reasons as everyone below is stating. Sort this out and you will immediately get a lot more paying users.

• Steve DoweSteve Dowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature needs some development commitment. Google's contact API allows read and write. Capsule Devs, please win back some confidence and implement this feature as soon as you feasibly can. It's so important to many people's workflow to update contact fields wherever they need to. Developing this for Capsule is a clear winner.

I just want everything to be based on the same data set. I want to be able to update google and for this to replicate to capsule and vice versa, this is a deal clincher for me,

• Roel De MeesterRoel De Meester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer having Capsule CRM the master list, because from their i'm pushing emails to google contacts and to mailchimp and to xero but ....
        since google contacts is integrated with android phone, this is for me the most common place to update contacts (add postion, alternative email adress, joining contacts, adding extra phone numbers), i would like to have these changes flowing back to capsule so that my colleagues can benefit from my work. Now these contact improvements are tied to MY google contacts.

As far as i understand it. My time is 60% on GMAIL interface (and thus close to google contacts), 30% on android interface - (google contacts), and only 10% of time in capsuleCRM.

Most of my CRM actions are done from within the gmail interface.

• Niall ConnellanNiall Connellan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I could use all my "votes" on this one feature....I would. I have been using CapsuleCRM for a while now, and while it does most of everything I need, it is still lacking in many areas. I am becoming somewhat frustrated at the poor speed in which many lackluster updates are made. I am seriously considering migrating to a new system. Regardless of my upcoming decision, this one feature is the make or break it deal for me and many others I'm assuming. I use many online apps/companies along with my mobile devices that all integrate with my Google Apps Contacts. Forcing me to only update in CapsuleCRM kills everything I do. I've used the mobile app (as you can see from a previous post made in this thread) but I need the integrations.

Do you have any new information regarding this feature request?

Agree with all of this. Google is my master contact list. It always will be! It has everybody I know of and care about knowing. I want ONE group in my Google contacts to be sync'd, 2-way, with Capsule.

The current sync is imperfect anyway (I had a lot of my contacts in my Google contacts already, and Capsule then makes "new" versions. OK fair enough, so I merge them with my old ones, but then when I update something in Capsule it AGAIN makes a new version in Google! It doesn't do it with all contacts so obviously the merging is wiping out whatever the sync is keyed on, but a proper 2-way sync (and potentially the ability to manually match with existing contacts) this would all be much more manageable.

• Tom GaynorTom Gaynor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run my business using my iPhone. When a customer calls me, I need to see their name come up with the Caller ID info. Using the one way sync helps with this, but we also use the Apple Contacts app on all our computers as the main contact list. We do this because we exclusively use Apple products and syncing contacts is easiest with Google Apps. We find it very difficult to use Capsule as our go to contact database.

Also, a competing product PipeDrive, has this ability for half year already.
        http://blog.pipedrive.com/2012/11/pipedrive-google-apps-integration/

I understand that's it is important to keep focus on your initial business model, but at the same time it's also important to keep a tap on the competition.

So please, reconsider this request. And i you like, contact me privately to discuss the matter

Our current flow is.

Contact is added to CRM from GMail using the Gmail widget.
        Contact is than automatically available in Google Contacts using the 1-way 'sync' which is currently standard in Capsule.

Updating Contact info is more easily done from within Google Contacts by
        * Google Contacts online interface (which allows for merging multiple different contact info, and is easily accesible from the gmail interface)
        * Mobile (android/iphone), most often to connect a new mobile number to an existing new prospect.
        * 3th party tools like https://www.writethat.name/ etc, which inspects signature and adds new info to Google contact.

Adding this new information to Capsule is HARD because.
        * Importing updated contacts is not accpetible since CapsuleCRM does not allow for easily removing of duplicates (have a look how easy google contacts does this for us).
        * manually editing the contact form is tedious, resulting in incomplete cvontact information.

I understand that handling 2-way sync is one of the most difficult problems in IT (due to collision of data), but most syncing systems try to solve that by keeping track of the data collisions and asking a manual decision only for these items.

• Andrew BeemanAndrew Beeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The primary reason that I want a 2 way sync is that Capsule is not the central contact storage of my business systems, Google is. I have other apps that also use google contacts.

• ElliotElliot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just as Paul suggests below. Currently I am using Nimble CRM which allows one-click contact add from an email address.

I would like to use Mac Mail.app to add contacts to google contacts and then add to capsule.

Noone wants to manually enter details like this.

• AndrewAndrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is obviously a highly sort after feature for Capsule customers (including me). Are Capsule going to continue to push back on it, or are they going to listen to their customers and develop the feature.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base